Woodster

Default Butcher Block Top

I am a first time poster but, I have been reading the posts for the
last couple of weeks. Several of you are very knowledgable about
woodworking and enjoy making sawdust as well as myself.

I am finishing an island cabinet that I built out of red oak and I
ordered a butcher block top made out of red oak. I used polyurethane
on the cabinet but, I want something on the top that is a little more
durable, will urethane provide a little more durability to the abuse
that an island top will have to take? Also, should I expect movement
with the top and make slots for the screws attaching the top to the
cabinet to allow for any movement?