Lowell Holmes

Default Solid wood, veneer over mdf or plywood

I assume you have a table saw. Buy your solid wood S3S (smooth three sides).
This will allow you to size the wood to width on the table saw. There are
any number of blades that will allow glue joint precision.

A properly sharpened and tuned smoothing plane will help get you there.

There have been several projects in Woodsmith magazine using plywood with
solid wood edging applied. They show the techniques. Power jointers are not
required.

I personally don't use biscuits. I have a biscuit joiner and biscuits that
are over 10 years old and seldom use them. Glue and clamps will join the
solid wood to the plywood. A hand plane will help here also.

"Rich Zellmer" wrote in message
I am looking to build this TV stand.

It is basically a open faced stereo cabinet with a left and right
compartment that each hold 3 glass shelves.
http://www.studiotech.com/jsp/produc....jsp?prodID=39 Until now most

of
my projects have been of the bookshelf or shallow cabinet type built using
pine or MDF so I need some pointers about wood selection..

My issue is what should I build it out of? Should I use solid wood,

plywood
or veneer over mdf?

Solid Wood.
Previously I have always worked in solid wood. However the side pieces of
this unit are around 28x24 which I would assume is outside of the size I

can
easily get in cherry or another hardwood. I am assuming I will have to
join the wood with either with biscuits or some other method.
Question - I don't have a joiner if I buy finished cherry in 8 inch
widths to get the edges be straight enough to join?