Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] PHILIPWOLF@comcast.net is offline

Default Tomato cages

On Jul 17, 7:23*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Fence? Deer can jump an 8 foot fence with room to spare.

True, but a 6 foot fence can be part of an interesting array of common
garden structures which will deter deer. You know what I mean, so
there's no
need to explain further.
Land mines, and sniper towers? Stalag Tomato 13?

Please bottom post like a normal person instead of someone who desperately
needs to be different, and for no good reason.

Onward: If the area inside the fence is crowded with things that make the
deer nervous about a landing (or launching) place, the fence will work. When
my fenced area had none of these things, the deer entered every night. As
soon as I added tomato cages, very tall bean poles, cold frame and other
annoyances, the intrusions ceased completely. This has worked for 6 years so
far.

I planted my tomats along my privacy fence. I use cup hooks and the
rails with bailing wire strung from them and rubber tubing to act as a
cushion so the wires don't cut through the vines. Gerry Baker always
recommended steal stakes with nylon stockings used as ties. He said
that there was some sort of electrical reaction... I can't remember
the whole explanation. I know they grow tall but they may anyway.

Pruning: I pinch off the suckers that grow at the branch nodes and
some of the flower bunches in the probably mistaken belief that I'll
get bigger tomats. Usually cut off the lower branches below 6 or 8
inches after the plants get going.