Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default A Prayer for Political Incumbents

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

(a) A publicly funded election with a permanent prohibition of all other
political contributions, whether corporate or private.

You won't get that though. Many different courts of many different
ideological outlooks have said that this won't fly. That pesky first
amendment thingy.

(d) To become a candidate and thus qualify for such public funding and
get one's name on the ballot would require nomination by some specified
modest number of citizens and payment of a modest fee; both number and
fee might well vary according to the position being sought.

You most likely won't get this either. Way too close to a poll tax
which has been tossed long ago.

(e) Direct election of President/VP -- no Electoral College.

Until 2000 I probably would have agreed. We had enough trouble with
FL, just think what would have happened if we had to recount EVERY state
and EVERY precinct in every state. We'd still be at it.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist