Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Tomato cages

wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:04:38 -0400, "Larry" wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
I have 5 ft tomato cages but the plants will probably reach 7 ft and
are now falling down. Should the plants be pruned, will this encourage
new low growth or limit it, or do I do what I have done in the past,
sink in a 8ft 1x2 and tie them up. I googled but this I could not find
anything. The best cages I used to have were wire mesh for concrete
and rebar but you need a big place to store them.

Lucky you! If you had these some of these darn deer, like we have here,
you
wouldn't have plants that high. They pulled mine right out of the ground.

Next year will be a fence of sorts for me.

Fence? Deer can jump an 8 foot fence with room to spare.

True, but a 6 foot fence can be part of an interesting array of common
garden structures which will deter deer. You know what I mean, so there's no
need to explain further.