Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Telephone wiring 101.

One aspect I can comment on is, around here (other side of the country from
you) I've seen the blue/white pair used for a separate line in a single
household.
That would be Line 2, and Line 1 would be the common red/green pair.

Much of the newer phone hookup wire is 4 pairs, instead of the conventional,
decades old, 2 pair.

All of the lines should be connected inside of a network box (possibly
outside), but there may be other junctions between the wall jacks and the
network box.

There may be a jack and a pigtail cable to screw terminals, for each line in
the network box, at least that's the way they're made around here.

The other items, I'm unfamiliar with.

--
Cheers,
WB

"David Farber" wrote in message
I moved into a new house and have new voip phone service via the local
cable company. The way it's configured is the cable from outside goes into
the modem, model number Arris TM502G, then the output of the modem, labeled
Tel 1/2 goes into a telephone line splitter, then the single ended part of
that splitter, goes into a telephone wall jack which is supposed to feed
the rest of the house. The third connection of the splitter goes to my
Uniden portable phone system, model EXAI3428, which I will call system #1.
It works fine.

To avoid confusion with another Uniden system, a model EXAI5688-3, I'll
call that system #2. I want to hook up system #2 at a different wall jack
in another room. When I did, there was no dial tone. System #2 was working
last week in another home so I am fairly certain that it was ok. I have a
telephone line polarity checker probably better known as, "The Fox," made
by Triplett Corporation. The l.e.d. lights up when I plug it into the back
of the modem. When I remove the telephone line from system #1 and plug in
the Fox into the splitter, it doesn't light up. I disassembled the wall
jack and sure enough, if I hook up the red test lead to the green wire and
vice-versa for the green test lead, the l.e.d. lights up. Question 1, does
it make sense that system #1 can work if the polarity is reversed? I
removed the Fox and plugged system #2 in the same jack. System #2 didn't
work. Then I reversed the red and green wires in the wall jack and tried
system #2 in the wall jack in the other room. Still no dial tone. So I
disassembled the wires in that wall jack. The wires were so snug that I
could only pull it out from the wall about 1 inch. I looked behind the
jack and saw that the phone wires were the old style red, green, yellow,
black wiring. When I reversed the wires in the wall jack back in the room
where system #1 was, I noticed the wires were a white/blue pair. I then
plugged the Fox into a jack in a third room. The Fox lit up. I plugged in
system #2 into the third room and got a dial tone. Question #2, is there a
way to get the red and green wires in the wall jack that isn't working
tied into the blue/white pair at the outside box? And finally, why does
the telephone line splitter reverse the polarity? I tried another splitter
and it did the same thing.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber