Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Tomato cages

On Jul 16, 2:28*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:06:19 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:
I have 5 ft tomato cages but the plants will probably reach 7 ft and
are now falling down. Should the plants be pruned, will this encourage
new low growth or limit it, or do I do what I have done in the past,
sink in a 8ft 1x2 and tie them up. I googled but this I could not find
anything. *The best cages I used to have were wire mesh for concrete
and rebar but you need a big place to store them.

Mine are made out of 8' re-mesh as well, w/ 6" spacing between the
wires. *I made them different diameters so I can store them inside each
other. *I can store 12 cages in the space of 4.

-Zz

I second the "different diameter" scheme.
I zip tie the cylinders and if they don't nest, I just cut the ties &
expand or compress them as needed.
I only need to store 4 cylinders.

I used to use 2x4 fencing and cut away wire to give access but the
wire snip rems were always cutting me.

I bit the bullet and got some 5' Keystone Wire Poultry & Garden
fencing.
The majority of the mesh is 4" x6" ...the "bottom foot" is tighter but
I use it upside down so I can reach over the top to harvest.
The 4x6 opening allow me to reach through at any point to harvest even
the largest tomatoes.

Of course the wire comes in 165' roll, (30 + cages)

but I sell them for cost or give them away.

Not getting a couple nicks every time I harvest is worth it.

cheers
Bob