Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete Construstion

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 00:12:08 -0400, "Abby Brown"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:18:06 -0400, "Abby Brown"
wrote:

Hi,

Concrete construction is common in Central America and other
Latin American locales. Other than being hurricane and
earthquake resistant what are the advantages and disadvantages
of this construction?

Thanks,
Gary

It is certainly tough, when used with a lot of steel rebar but
it is
expensive and hard to insulate.
They took a swing at that with air entrained concrete (Ytong
etc) but
it is still expensive compared to stick framing.

I will ask about that. We will be looking in upscale
neighborhoods in Costa Rica, Ecuador, and maybe sourthern Spain;
all are earthquake zones. Construction standards has been a
concern. Many of the listings make a point that the house was
built or upgraded to American standards.

It is difficult to insulate? I thought one of the advantages
was the thermal mass helps moderated the temperature. Or that a
different thing? In Costa Rica the humidity is hard on wood.

Gary

Concrete is termite-proof, stands up top high humidity and winds, and
if properly built, can be pretty well earthquake proof - not to
mention fireproof - should build all of California out of concrete.

The new Insulated Concrete Form construction is fully insulated and
can be easily finished with local stucco, or even , I hear, adobe.