Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Metal plating.

"David Paste" wrote in message
A while ago I saw an episode of American Hotrod (or the bike one,
can't remember which) where one guy suggested instead of plating the
trim in chrome, they should try another metal which has a shiny black
finish. I can't remember what the metal he suggested was, does anyone
here have any idea?

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

I think this is 'black chrome', but AIUI, not an easy process. My neighbour
owns a metal plating works, and I remember him telling me about the black
chroming that they used to do on the wheel nuts for a major UK car
manufacturer. I seem to recall him saying that it was a very tricky process
to get right, involving some very nasty chemicals like arsenic, and that his
company was one of only a couple or three in the country, with the necessary
equipment and expertise to carry out the process.

Arfa