Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme Graeme is offline

Default Thoughts on building a wooden ramp for vehicular use

Our garden is on two levels, both of which are paved, with a six inch
step between the two. For various reasons, I have been using a couple
of thick planks, resting on a fence post, to move vehicles and trailers
from one level to the other, but would like to construct something a
little more easy to use, but not permanent.

Thoughts are, a wooden ramp, six feet (OK, 2 meters) wide by six feet
long. Lengths of 4 x 2 x 2m sawn corner to corner, to form long
triangles, to form the slope, with lengths of 6 x 2 x 2m to form the
ramp itself.

a) Does that sound reasonable? I realise it will be heavy when
finished, but will not be permanent, like a concrete ramp would be. Is
2 inch thick timber overkill for the ramp part? The ramp will be used
by a Morris Minor, perhaps a dozen times a year. Probably less.

b) My only power saw is an antique B&D jig saw. What do I need to cut
the triangles? A cheap and cheerful mains powered circular saw, thirty
quid from Screwfix?

Thanks!
--
Graeme