Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Tomato cages

"ransley" wrote in message
I have 5 ft tomato cages but the plants will probably reach 7 ft and
are now falling down. Should the plants be pruned, will this encourage
new low growth or limit it, or do I do what I have done in the past,
sink in a 8ft 1x2 and tie them up. I googled but this I could not find
anything. The best cages I used to have were wire mesh for concrete
and rebar but you need a big place to store them.

I've never seen a store-bought tomato cage that was worth a damn. Next year,
make these cylindrical ones out of normal fence wire. These are 5' high.
They've withstood huge winds without a problem. Any negative aspects to
these cages are imaginary. You'll want to cut some arm-size holes for
harvesting, and one near ground level for weeding, although not many weeds
grow once the tomato plant shades the ground underneath.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1279306361

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1279306364

20 minutes later:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1279306368

I usually prune off most of the tops, unless I don't, in which case I regret
it and do it later than I should.