Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Robinson David Robinson is offline

Default Tiling advice (floor and walls) - lots of questions

I'm going to tile my bathroom and en suite. This will be my first
attempt at tiling. Any advice? ;-)

The plan is to make the floorboards as secure as possible, put "no
more ply" down on the floor, and tile on top of that.

The walls are mostly newly plastered.

I'm looking at getting a reasonable electric tile cutter, so I can do
straight cuts and L-shapes around the window (also, later, L-shapes
around the sockets in the kitchen). I can't find the previous
suggested models any more - any current suggestions?

I'm planning to use silicone at the corners and around the bath
(leaving the bath full of water before+after doing this). How big a
gap should I leave at the internal corners of the room for silicone +
movement?

Can I use the same flexible adhesive and grouting for the floor and
walls? Any particular brands good but not-too-expensive? Or better to
use cheaper for walls than floor?

Some people seem to leave tile spacers in behind grouting, others seem
to take them out before grouting - does it matter? What's best?

What's the best order to do this - walls first, or floor? I was
planning to start near the bottom and work up, but found one on-line
guide that suggested starting in the middle - sounds strange to me.
I'm going to tile after the bath has gone in, but before the basin+WC.
Do you do a whole row at a time, or a row on one wall at a time, that
whole wall, and then start on another one?

Anything else I should watch out for?

Many thanks in advance. My house is already far better than it would
otherwise be thanks to help from this group!

Cheers,
David.