Posted to uk.d-i-y
BruceB[_3_] BruceB[_3_] is offline

Default Discussion - Earthing a ring main 13A socket metal back-box

"Spike" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:

I wrote:

So there's no code of practice that specifies exactly how
the back-box earth should be connected?

Correct, because as was stated in the first reply there is
normally no requirement to earth the back box.

Terminologically incorrect!

Back-boxes (flush or surface) are classified as 'exposed conductive parts'
and are therefore required to be earthed. IMO, earthing of the back-box
is mandatory.

You (and Adam in the first reply) obviously meant that there is often no
requirement to fit an earthing tail to achieve the earthing of the
back-box, not that the back-box itself does not need earthing. Where the
cpc is a cable or core connected into the socket outlet earth terminal,
you can (allegedly) 'rely' on the back-box fixed lug and the socket outlet
earthing strap and eyelet.

Personally, I would always fit an earthing tail, rather than rely on a
dubious combination of fixed lugs and eyelets.

--
Spike

Yes OK I was incorrect in the pedantic way you describe. That is the risk
of opting for brevity in a reply!

Introducing an earth tail when not required does introduce additional
failure modes.

On another pedantic point, note the pdf link in another message dates from
the 16th edition so the reg references are incorrect

Regards
Bruce