Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Discussion - Earthing a ring main 13A socket metal back-box

"Spike" wrote in message
Adam wrote:

What if someone (e.g. the householder) replaces a double-eyelet socket
outlet at some future time with a single eyelet socket outlet and ends up
with the eyelet screwed to the adjustable lug?

Not sure I have seen any sockets with just one eyelet so that should not be
a problem.

What if the socket outlet
mounting screw(s) become loose?

Then they should be tightened up. It is easy enough to notice and rectify.
Also I have never known of anyone getting shocks from these screws with or
without a flylead.

As back-boxes (flush or surface) are classified as 'exposed conductive
parts' and are therefore required to be earthed, surely the short answer
is to ALWAYS install an earthing tail between the socket earth terminal
and the back-box?

Not according to the NICEIC.

I think I shall continue to pick-up the back-box earth terminal with the
(uncut) earth core in the T&E ring main cable, as I described in my op.

And there is nothing wrong with you doing that. I gave my reasons why I
prefered the method of going from the socket to the back box in preference
to your method.

Your method is safe and that is all that matters.

Cheers

Adam