The Natural Philosopher

Default Lightning conductors

nightjar

"DKSanders" wrote in message

Hi All,
I have been asked to fit a lightning conductor to a friends house

extension

(a 'tower' like extra floor in the middle of the existing house!). How
should this be done, any special considerations etc, where do you get the
conductor from, do you have to use copper 'tape' like you see coming down
from church spires, does it connect to a normal earth rod?

Any help or advice gratefully appreciated, thanks.

As others have said, it is a job for an expert. FYI, you don't use ordinary
earthing rods, but large plates buried in the ground, and the flat copper
strip is chosen because, for transmitting lightning, surface area is more
important than cross-sectional area.

Yes. I forgot to mention the flat plate in the earth. Or morte likley a
few square meters of wire mesh with a solid plate in the middle

That spreads the charge around a bit and avoids localised hot spots of
high voltage.

Colin Bignell