Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Brake job on Craftsman Tractor

On Jul 15, 9:55*am, texas slacker wrote:
Subject: *1997 Craftsman garden tractor. *18 horse Kohler engine.
Model 917.251492

This beast needs a brake job and it looks to be a real bitch to get to
the transaxle housing mounted rotor and pads.
It appears that the best way might me to remove the bolts holding the
housing from the frame and drop the whole rear end, but maybe not. *I
would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tackled this job. *Thanks

I had to replace one about ten years ago on a similar model and it was
a very frustrating job. We use ours around the farm for hauling so it
gets more wear than the typical lawn-mowing machine. The break liner
had separated from the metal.

Very tight quarters to work in. I remember that jacking it up helped.
Removing the old one was bad enough but getting the replacement in was
worse. My hands were too big to get in to get the initial bolt into
the threads; it took my wife and I both working together, reaching in
from opposite sides of the tractor, to get it assembled.