Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default rehabilitating crappy doors

On 7/15/2010 8:04 PM, Uno wrote:
I love my girlffriend, but sometimes she's just in my way when I need to
make a change in her house. She had another guy come in and replace
several doors.

Why did they need to be replaced? Was it just appearance or was there a
problem with them?

It was a bigger job than I could do at the time, and it
was done very quickly. I'm not at all happy with the craftsmanship of
this fella, but then I don't want to give him a call and say fix this
****, because I don't want to create competition for my client.

The doors worked initially but now, not a single one closes. We have a
whopping 35% relative humidity because we use evaporitive cooling. These
are typical resi doors that come pre-fabbed with the jambs. They are
finished with a dark brown paint.

On the hinge side, there is a quarter inch of room on all of them.

Are you saying there's a quarter inch gap between the door and the frame
or do I misunderstand?

Now I've rehabilitated many doors in my lifetime, and it's always a
series of steps and an eventual win, but if I lift a finger while she is
gone on vacation, it's got to be perfect.

So first, what happened to these doors that they now don't close? They
don't feel shaky like the screws are loose. They've been in less than a
year.

The doors have absorbed moisture, expanded, and no longer fit the frame,
or the frame has dried out, shrunk, and no longer fits the door, or the
structure has settled so that the shape of the frame has changed, or
something else has happened. You need to figure out what. Without
examining the doors it's difficult to diagnose.

If it's the humidity, what happens when you install a door like this in
Mississippi?

You wait for it to take up however much moisture it's going to take up,
then adjust it as required.

Second, I've got a belt sander, a finger sander, a sharp chisel, primer
and brown paint. How am I gonna fix these so that they're perfect?

I'd need to eyeball the problem before making any kind of suggestion.

Thanks for your comment, and cheers,