Posted to rec.woodworking
Uno Uno is offline

Default rehabilitating crappy doors

Josepi wrote:

Less than a year? Obviously some wood is moving.

Try this. Curl your toes back and give the bottom of the jam a good kick
towards the studs to widen it. Close door. If this works unscrew the middle
screw on the jam part of each hinge. Get a good 2.5 - 3.5" plated , matching
screw,like a deck screw and drive the sucker to pull back tight to the shims
the carpenter put in. Most doors are only hinged to the jam and it pulls the
jam from the framing.

This can be done with the latch plate also. If the tight spot is somewhere
else you may have to a small pilot hole and drive a long screw in the studs
through the jam to pull it back, then patch and repaint.

Carpenters use power nailers and the nails typically don't have much grip to
hold things tight.

OTOH: A house 1 year old would still be under warranty, here. Call the
builder and bitch. The trim carpenter will come and do some small fixes, for
nothing, usually.

Thx, Josepi, the trim is such that if I want to remove it, I can, and
re-attach it with the brad nailer better than the original.

The nailing pattern on the original really shows lapses in
craftsmanship, in particular, when I can see the damn craters from
across the room as something not even brown.

I'll throw my 4-foot level on the latch-side jamb before I move it.
--
Uno