Posted to rec.woodworking
Uno Uno is offline

Default rehabilitating crappy doors

Sonny wrote:

Has the latch-side jams moved?... Someone pulling on the facing,
there? Maybe the whole door frame has moved, for some reason. Check
the whole frame, vertical and horizontal level and measure the
diagonals, for equalness.

I find this strange that all or many of the doors are not closing
properly. Has the house suffered foundation failure? A pillared
house is more apt to have foundation failure than one on a slab. See
if the windows are difficult to open/close, also. Factors
contributing to foundation failu Extreme dryness in the soil due
to 1) drought, 2) a large tree nearby, drawing moisture from the
soil.... a year ago the tree roots (if applicable) may not have
reached the house/under neath.

I'm assuming the house is on pillars:
How old is the house? Apparently, it has some age, since the
original(?) doors were replaced. Were they replaced because of the
same problem, not closing properly?

Check the floors' levelness throughout the house. If there is a large
discrepancy in floor levelness in the bathroom area, check the toilet
drain pipe to see if it has any hint of buckling or the toilet having
been raised a tad or its attachment compromised in some way. Inspect
other plumbing, also. You cetainly don't want any stress on the water
heater plumbing, if the cold line is buried in the ground before
entering the house, there. Compromised plumbing, this way, in
combination with an unlevel floor, is also evidence of foundation
failure.

Thx for your reply, Sonny. The house was built about the same time as
mine, in the 1950's in Albuquerque. Houses here are slab on grade and
don't have a lot of the problems that you see in places with frost heave.

The soil everywhere is packed adobe. Foundations here last centuries.
The descendants of the conquistadors are people I see occasionally. New
Mexico is good real estate.

The floors will be level; I don't need to check them. They're exactly
where they were a year ago.

I had a client up in Montezuma who had done a lot of excavation to get
the elevation he wanted. He's like the other half of building here.
The clown passe. Gets hourlies like me to do work for him and then
either does/does not pay them.

Cocaine Johnnie Montoya. Flipped his Mercedes 15 times and has a house
under from which the center is eroding. I'll give him my one-finger
carpenter salute as he sits on top of a house that has more mistakes per
building system than any I've ever seen.

Anyways, so foundations: solid, and level. I have measured them with a
laser at one point 3 years back.
--
Uno