Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Paper shredders for the office

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:21:07 -0500, Randy wrote:

Anyone here use or know of a good paper shredder? I'm looking to
replace my Executive machines model that died, (it was a long slow
death). I checked it out and the plastic spacers that keep the knives
apart are broken/gone, the knives now bind up and overload the
machine. I did consider machining some aluminum spacers and
rebuilding the whole thing but I don't think it's worth it.

I want cross cut, at least 8 sheet capacity, and BIG!! By that I
mean a good sized basket underneath. Every shredder I look at now
has the basket built in and safety locked. But the baskets are small!
I shred EVERYTHING, not just the important stuff, gives thiefs about
900% more to look through and peice back together. I would love a
machine that is about 30-36 inches tall VS the 18-20" that i'm
seeing. Hell 40-48" would be OK, I can still reach it from my desk
chair.

I did find tall models like this but they were over $1000.00

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

I use an old GBC shredder. It has a nylon drive gear on a 7/16" hex
shaft that used to slip badly until I replaced the hub with a piece of
a cheap bicycle type wrench. It only handles about three sheets at a
time but a few years back, I set it up over a garbage bag stand and
produced 17 leaf bags of shredded paper. Like you, I shred everything,
even flyers, and set out a leaf bag every couple months. If someone
wants to re-assemble anything out of my recyclable paper I wish them
lots of luck - I know it can be done, but the return would be
negligible.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada