Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas slacker Texas slacker is offline

Default Brake job on Craftsman Tractor

On Jul 15, 5:40*pm, LSMFT wrote:
"__ Bøb __" wrote:

DId you try adjusting them? I have never see lawn tractor brakes
wearing out. You hardly never need them and when you lock them on it's
usually not moving and wearing.

I have a John Deere 285 that has a small drum brake .. .. it not only
has worn out .. .. JD wants almost $100 for the BRAKE SHOES !! !! !!

There is still plenty of friction material there, but it won't expand
enough to grab the drum .. .. SOOOOO .. .. we welded up the cam a bit
and ground it smooth, yielding more travel, hence more shoe expansion.
Worked like a charm.

I don't understand why you need to use the brakes so much. Do you push
the clutch too hard? If you have hydro why do you need brakes?

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

I need brakes because sometimes I park on a steep incline and need to
lock the brakes. I need new pads because all the adjustment is used
up and the tractor still rolls downhill with the brake lock on.