Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_12_] Josepi[_12_] is offline

Default rehabilitating crappy doors

Less than a year? Obviously some wood is moving.

Try this. Curl your toes back and give the bottom of the jam a good kick
towards the studs to widen it. Close door. If this works unscrew the middle
screw on the jam part of each hinge. Get a good 2.5 - 3.5" plated , matching
screw,like a deck screw and drive the sucker to pull back tight to the shims
the carpenter put in. Most doors are only hinged to the jam and it pulls the
jam from the framing.

This can be done with the latch plate also. If the tight spot is somewhere
else you may have to a small pilot hole and drive a long screw in the studs
through the jam to pull it back, then patch and repaint.

Carpenters use power nailers and the nails typically don't have much grip to
hold things tight.

OTOH: A house 1 year old would still be under warranty, here. Call the
builder and bitch. The trim carpenter will come and do some small fixes, for
nothing, usually.

"Uno" wrote in message
I love my girlffriend, but sometimes she's just in my way when I need to
make a change in her house. She had another guy come in and replace
several doors. It was a bigger job than I could do at the time, and it
was done very quickly. I'm not at all happy with the craftsmanship of
this fella, but then I don't want to give him a call and say fix this
****, because I don't want to create competition for my client.

The doors worked initially but now, not a single one closes. We have a
whopping 35% relative humidity because we use evaporitive cooling. These
are typical resi doors that come pre-fabbed with the jambs. They are
finished with a dark brown paint.

On the hinge side, there is a quarter inch of room on all of them.

Now I've rehabilitated many doors in my lifetime, and it's always a
series of steps and an eventual win, but if I lift a finger while she is
gone on vacation, it's got to be perfect.

So first, what happened to these doors that they now don't close? They
don't feel shaky like the screws are loose. They've been in less than a
year.

If it's the humidity, what happens when you install a door like this in
Mississippi?

Second, I've got a belt sander, a finger sander, a sharp chisel, primer
and brown paint. How am I gonna fix these so that they're perfect?

Thanks for your comment, and cheers,
--
Uno