Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default stud walls

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:37:50 +0100, fred wrote:

If you build the partition flat on the floor and then lift it into
position you can save a lot of time and effort. Make sure it's undersize
by 10mm and pack it out at top and sides before fixing. Screwing is
miles better than nailing.

I have done two partition walls before. I did one by lying it flat on
the floor. I'm not sure why I didn't lie the other one flat, perhaps
there was not enough space, but I had it at an angle, so that I could
access the underneath of the base plate. Those times because I had
easy access to the top and bottom, I was able to screw directly
through the base plate into the stud, and the same with the noggins: I
screwed straight through. I didn't use any fancy screws, just "normal"
ones.

If you really want to build it in place then slant screw instead of
slant nailing, these screws are good for framing, very easy to drive and
resist splitting: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93282

These look really good for framing, for all the reasons you gave in
your second post. I'll certainly look at using those this time.

No need to follow the joists, the boards will bear the weight, put the
partition where you want it.

Perhaps I misread the wiki? I thought they had to go into the joist in
the floor and the joist in the roof to hold it secure? I suppose that
unless it's a very heavy wall, the floorboards would support its
weight, but wouldn't you need to secure the top to something? OTOH I
suppose that once built it should be pretty rigid unless it is a very
long wall. I suppose you could use frame or hammer fixings to secure
the sides to the existing walls, presuming they are brick rather than
more plasterboard!

Thanks.