Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Whole house fan - possible to add variable speed?

keith wrote:
On Jul 14, 1:58 pm, Tony wrote:
keith wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n...Speed%20Contro...
Those are simple "dimmer" style controls. They are *not* for
induction motors.

http://www.kbelectronics.com/kbsearc..._kbwc_115k.htm
It says Shaded Pole motors, which ARE induction motors. Unless you can
show me a shaded pole motor that is not an induction motor? I'd love to
see it!

You won't find a whole house fan that uses a shaded pole motor, but go
ahead and smoke your fan.

I said those dimmers were indeed for shaded pole motors, someone
disagreed, I don't really care who it was. But the fact is that the
speed controls I suggested can be used on shaded pole motors.

Hell, I don't even have a whole house fan, so I don't suppose there is
much chance of me smoking my fan. Unless it was made of hemp. No not
really.