Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default 1954 Alum. Picture Window

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:24:51 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

Little brick bungalow in midwest US, built in 1954.

Double-pane aluminum windows, in pretty decent shape. All but the big picture
window are kinda ordinary, stare at one for a while and you can see how
they work.

In the front, above 3 big yews, big picture window with a smaller window on
each side:

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5636/4064parker.jpg

Spiders, dirt, etc have penetrated between the panes of the big window.
I gotta remove a pane, clean up inside. The yews pevent most access from
outside. How to remove the inside pane?

End windows: 22 1/4 " wide, ~51 " hi.
Pic window : 49 " wide, ~50 1/2 hi.

Outside, the big window has a couple small alum. handles and a pair of
clips on each of the 3 other sides. Inside, there are 4 small tapper
screws on each of the 4 sides of the alum. framing the glass. There
might be some wood trim at the top between the panes, everything else
is alum.

Can you post some close up photos of the trim inside and outside.
Include finish trim, screws, clips, caulk etc ., etc.-

I pulled the tapper screws, pryed a tad to see if the glass would pop out.
Didn't feel like it would. Other than caulk, I dunno what else would be
holding it. There are no recesses or handles to unseat it.

Anybody got any idea how something like this might come apart? I've
been here for 25+ years and I've put off working on it long enough. :-)

Maybe with some close-up shots.

Do you have _some_ window experience?