Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default Water hammer from toilet cistern

MM wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:30:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

MM wrote:
My low-level cistern has a button to press to flush the loo. If I
simply press the button I get water hammer noise. If I press it
initially very gently, so as to release some water into the bowl,
and then press fully down, I DON'T get water hammer.

So where is the *actual* water hammer noise emanating from? I've
read before that water hammer is something to do with high pressure
and valves, but I don't get how this only started recently (over
the past couple of months).

This is the cistern internal 'gubbins':
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/cistern/index.html

Its nothing to do with the bit you photographed - thats the flush
valve. Its the other bit with the blue float.

Is the water inlet plumbed in copper or is there a SS braided
flexible?

Plumbed in copper. With an inline shut-off valve (screwdriver slot)
almost directly beneath the cistern.

Try turning that down a bit.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman