Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default White roofs

On Jul 13, 9:51*pm, LSMFT wrote:
There is a push to cool the earth, save energy and keep your home cooler
at less cost to have white roofs. Especially in the cities to reduce
heat islands.
What about northern states where we heat more than air condition. Should
we go to white roofs or black roofs or middle colors?

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Here in the north central, seldom see a white roof. Large southern
cities, though, evidently find white a benefit. Choosing colors for
two roof replacements last year we found no truly white conventional
shingles on the market. I'm guessing that the colored topping weathers
off the light colored ones in a few years leaving the darker substrate
behind anyway. So metal or other material would be the most practical
long lasting material. Something to consider when the price comes down
a bit. Hard to make a choice when so many factors are involved. Best
left to the architect, probably.

Joe