Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Precision hole drilling

On 2010-07-13, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus3537 wrote:

When making that mounting plate, I realized that there is a lot to
precision drilling, and want to ask now if anyone knows tricks for
drilling precise holes. I have two more plates to make.

The required precision for locating encoder base is 0.01". (which is
not that bad).

[ ... ]

Yoiu can try scribing marks with calipers, or even surface plates and
height gauges, but it all comes down to how accurate you can dial in the
drill bit over the mark. I was never very good at this.

A sharp-pointed wiggler can help to get you centered on the
scribe marks. Then swap it out for the drill bit.

Or -- an optical centering microscope, if you have (or make)
one.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564