Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Light duty mag base that you put your own handdrill in.

On Jul 13, 3:11*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Jul 13, 4:50*am, tnik wrote:

Portalign was one brand name for a gizmo like you describe.
The usual sources (Sears, Harbor Freight) probably have 'em.
(yep,www.sears.comfinds "Craftsman drill guide")

This thing.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00967173000P

I have the old non-angling one which works pretty well to drill 1/2"
holes in steel plate. I wouldn't want to stress it with a larger
drill. They are fussier to align than a mag-base drill and need to be
clamped down, but they are light enough to position on a vertical
surface with one hand, for instance to drill a wooden door.

It takes quite a powerful magnet to resist the quill handle leverage.

jsw