Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Water hammer from toilet cistern

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:30:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

MM wrote:
My low-level cistern has a button to press to flush the loo. If I
simply press the button I get water hammer noise. If I press it
initially very gently, so as to release some water into the bowl, and
then press fully down, I DON'T get water hammer.

So where is the *actual* water hammer noise emanating from? I've read
before that water hammer is something to do with high pressure and
valves, but I don't get how this only started recently (over the past
couple of months).

This is the cistern internal 'gubbins':
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/cistern/index.html

Its nothing to do with the bit you photographed - thats the flush valve.
Its the other bit with the blue float.

Is the water inlet plumbed in copper or is there a SS braided flexible?

Plumbed in copper. With an inline shut-off valve (screwdriver slot)
almost directly beneath the cistern.

MM