Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] john@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk is offline

Default stud walls

On 13 July, 22:05, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I've read the uk diy wiki section for stud walls but I didn't see
anything about how to fix the studs to the base and head plates. I
thought you were supposed to put two nails through at angles but I
have never had much success in getting the nail to go where I want
without splitting the wood. Is there a trick to this or a better way?

Could you use a couple of corner braces like this instead?http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Stru...alwork/Corner+...

I'm about to make a partition wall. If you divide a room with such a
wall, do you just follow the ceiling and floorboard joists regardless
of the position of the existing walls? Or should you try to get the
new wall perpendicular the existing walls with a try square? What if
the room isn't a true square, then at least one end will not meet at
90 degrees. Is it just a matter of trying to get it to meet as near to
90 degrees as possible?

TIA

I once saw Tommy Walsh and Big Al doing it using a humungous nail
gun.
Sort of instantly shoots a long nail in, then makes a curious whirring
sound as if it's chuckling to itself.( Love to know how those things
work