Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Precision hole drilling

On Jul 13, 9:13*am, Ignoramus3537
When making that mounting plate, I realized that there is a lot to
precision drilling, and want to ask now if anyone knows tricks for
drilling precise holes. I have two more plates to make.

I lock the table and drill mostly to size with cheap or resharpened
drill bits, which are more fast than accurate, then swap to the boring
head and take a light cut for concentricity. Finally, since my mill
doesn't have much headroom, I drill to size with a good S&D bit in a
collet. So far hole size and location has been good to 0.002" or
better.

These are better than I expected:
http://brutelli.com/g/grippcsu481.html

They are only 3" long beyond the collet so you can mill and drill at
the same head or table height setting. I bought them locally, that
site is the first one that Google returned.

I once worked for a very nice, but very large, guy named Vito who
inspired a lot of similar comments.

jsw