Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Attaching bowl blank to wasteblock

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:25:22 -0500, Leo Lichtman wrote
(in message ) :

"Woody" wrote: I don't understand why the need to "easily" separate the
tenon from the
bowl. Can't you just glue the tenon directly to the bowl blank and then
part off on the bowl side of the glue joint?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I see it the same way. The extra effort to soak the paper with glue and
position it seem to outweigh any extra parting effort. Don't you have to
clean up the fuzz left by the paper?

The attraction is that if a paper joint is used, you can separate the work
from the mounting block with a chisel and mallet, taking just a moment. Yes,
sanding is required to clean off the paper and glue, but this will still be
faster and easier than using a parting tool. In the case of a footed bowl,
the paper and glue residue is turned off instead of sanding.
To repeat, ease of separation is the reason for a glue and paper joint.
respectfully,
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.