Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Saw Sizes - Model

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:04:24 -0500, John Gbur wrote
(in message ):

I have a Stihl MS361 (Now discontinued). I am very happy with it but have
started enjoying working larger pieces. Curious which saws people like for
ripping larger pieces, up to 24" in length. I used a larger Husqvarna saw
and it really went through the logs with ripping (Not sure of the model). I
had looked at possibly 440 in Stihl or larger. Just curious what others are
using. Since many other non woodturners don't rip logs just wanted some
woodturners opinions. Thanks!

I did some log cabin work a number of years ago, and used an old Pioneer saw.
I used a ripping chain, and the cut was very good and very fast. The cuttings
were flying from the chain bar like so much fettucini. In essence, a rip
chain has its depth control rakers ground way down, so the teeth can take a
very agressive cut.
It is my belief that if the engine has decent power and the chain is very
sharp, you will do well.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.