Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus15939 Ignoramus15939 is offline

Default Ebay and the state of machining

On 2010-07-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:53:00 -0500, Ignoramus23418

On 2010-07-12, Larry Jaques wrote:
Im also rather fascinated by the prices....some of which have gone UP,
rather than down. Im not sure why. Are the sellers simply trying to
make a living off of each piece (mostly dealers) or have they given up
on selling and are trying enmass to raise the price of items?

Very simple. eBay reduced the price to list items (even if they do not
sell) and raised the fees for sold items. So, people are responding by
jacking up the prices and listing unsellable garbage. I despise all
that and try to list as little on eBay as possible.

Want a 15 HP 230v Baldor H2 VFD (single phase capable)? Or a 3 HP
Baldor grinder with dust collector and stand? Or a heat treating furnace?

Bingo, they're trying to make a few years' living off each piece sold.
I've never seen good deals on there.

You did not look deeply enough. I once bought an impact wrench for
$45, that I sold for $1,500 (and likely it was worth more).

Your impact was a one-in-a-million chance. Auction lots that you buy
are usually at better deals, when they're not outrageously overbid.

My impact was not the only one. I once bought a huge crate of
Bridgeport stuff for $45. of course I did not have a Bridgeport
then. TIG welder for $10.

Of course, eBay now works hard to kick out one-of-a-kind-item sellers
like myself, so lately things were not as good on ebay.

On auction front, I recently bought a working Baldor H2 15 HP 230v VFD
for $20. (just tested it 10 minutes ago).

I've made 390 purchases on eBay and have been happy with nearly all of
them, maybe 386. But I haven't bought any machinery. Only hand tools,
books, gadgets, implements, software (new), hardware (new), and
miskelelaneous household goodies. Damnear all of them were between 5
and 30 percent of their dollar value. The reason I don't buy from
"dealers" is that many ask retail + prices on used crap. Some dealers
take a wire brush to everything, spray paint everything, and sell it
as a factory refurbished model in excellent shape. Screw them!

Yep.

Like..come on..$275 for a verticle vernier height gage, without even a
dial indicator on it...geeze. Ive been picking them up for $20 in the
wooden cases...

Can you say "eBay anteek"? I knew you could.

**** eBay.

No, **** elitist eBayers who gouge.

And **** eBay who pushes out everyone else.