Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default impact screwdriver

On 2010-07-12, Nonny wrote:
Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox

The first one I had I bought as a teen to work on my motorcycle's
engine......

These were a requirement for a motorcycle mechanic, as ALL Japanese
motorcycles used phillips oval head screws everywhere. If they were
the least bit tight or stuck, you'd strip out the phillips slot. The
only alternative was an air impact wrench, a 3/8" drive butterfly
model the hands down favorite.

I'd be very leary of a HF driver. It's been my experience that Korean
made drivers are the best, the Japanese made drivers the worst. It's
not the driver at issue here, but the bits. Japanese phillips bits
are like those crappy bits they sell by the gross and lumber yards for
cordless drill guns. They wear out or twist. My Korean phillips bit
looks brand new, 45 yrs later, and I've assembled and disassembled too
many motorcycles to count. Somehow, I don't see Chinese steel hanging
in there for the long haul. Hold out for a Korean driver if you're
going to be doing phillips head screws.

BTW, a 2 lb sledge is perfect for driving:

http://tinyurl.com/28yg5oa

nb