Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Clamp meter suggestions/recommendations???

dpb wrote:

I've had an old 'un of noname variety that was marginally adequate at
best that has now totally deceased itself.

Any suggestions for occasional use for stuff like checking motor leads,
etc., that would be functionally sotoo Fluke 333 or similar that might
be less expensive (they're otoo $150)?

--

I have a TPI 2,000A AC/DC hall effect clamp probe that I got for about
$60 at Fry's and use with my Fluke 87 for bigger jobs. I can't find it

What I highly recommend for general use is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-96308.html

This is a very nice, compact little clamp meter (AC only clamp) that is
dirt cheap. The only real drawback to it is the somewhat expensive
batteries it uses, but they seem to last a long time. I've compared this
meter side by side with the TPI / Fluke combo and they agreed on the
various loads tested.