Posted to alt.home.repair

Default impact screwdriver

On 7/12/2010 12:48 PM Joe spake thus:

On Jul 12, 2:33 pm, harry wrote:

On Jul 12, 8:24 pm, "Nonny" wrote:

Harbor Freight sells one of those "tools you put in your toolbox
and only get out rarely when all else has failed." It's called an
impact screwdriver. They've been around forever, and the one I
just got cost less than what I paid for one 55 years ago.

I find they usually break the stud/bolt off.....................Or if
it's in screwdriver mode chew the head up.

Sounds like you have it confused with some other tool, an air impact
tool, maybe?
Had one in my tool box since the 1960's and it was the only thing that
would disassemble the early Honda motorbikes for repair. Worked well
with the retaining screw on many of the import cars brake discs and
drums. We learned to apply Kroil liberally before exceeding the yield
point of the fastener.
Possibly the most under-rated but useful tool around.

On a related note, I remember using an impact driver years ago to get
the doors off my VW van (big ol' Phillips-headed screws on the hinges).
Worked like a charm.