Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JimR JimR is offline

Default Attaching bowl blank to wasteblock

"Norvin Gordon" wrote in message
Russ Stanton wrote:
I want to try turning some small bowls using $ inch square blanks about 2
inches deep. Since these are samll I do not want to waste wood with a
tenon but want to try using a waste block on a faceplate.
Would double side tape from a woodworking store be strong enough for
these small blanks?
If not what would be suggested?
TIA
Russ

I would use brown paper bag and white glue. All the bowls I do, small and
large, get this process, no failures and easy to seperate. (knock on wood)

That's what was taught in high school wood shop many year ago -- that was
B.C. (Before chucks).

We used Kraft paper and white glue, and then screwed a face plate to the
glue block. As I recall, at the end of turning, we used a wood chisel to
separate the two at the paper line, then finished up with a light sanding to
get rid of the traces of glue and paper.