Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Attaching bowl blank to wasteblock

On Jul 12, 8:14 am, "Russ Stanton" wrote:
"Fred Holder" wrote in message

On Jul 11, 10:12 am, "Russ Stanton" wrote:
I want to try turning some small bowls using $ inch square blanks about 2
inches deep. Since these are samll I do not want to waste wood with a
tenon
but want to try using a waste block on a faceplate.
Would double side tape from a woodworking store be strong enough for
these
small blanks?
If not what would be suggested?
TIA
Russ

Hello Russ,

When turning small bowls like you are planning, I mount a piece of end
grain wood in a chuck, turn a tenon to fit the chuck jaws, reverse
into the chuck and part off all but about one inch. Turning the end
round and flat. I then glue this to the center of the bowl blank with
Tite Bond II glue or medium thick CA glue. When the glue has had time
to set, overnight for Tite Bond II and five minutes for the CA glue. I
mount the tenon back in the chuck with the bowl blank attached. I then
turn the bowl inside and out, making sure that I don't get the bottom
too thin. After sanding and finishing, I use a thin parting tool to
part the tenon from the bowl. I then reverse the bowl in a jam fit
chuck, vacuum chuck, or other chuck designed for this purpose, and
turn off the remaining portion of the tenon for holding the bowl, sand
the bottom, sign it, date it, and note the type of wood. I then apply
finish to the bottom portion.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

Fred

Thanks for the very complete reply. Is there a reason to turn the waste
block from end grain?

Russ

Hello Russ,

Not really any specific reason. Side grain will also work just fine.
However, a chuck grips the endgrain better. If you are using a
faceplate, I think that side grain wood would perhaps work better.