Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxwell Lol Maxwell Lol is offline

Default Attaching bowl blank to wasteblock

"Leo Lichtman" writes:

"Woody" wrote: I don't understand why the need to "easily" separate the
tenon from the
bowl. Can't you just glue the tenon directly to the bowl blank and then
part off on the bowl side of the glue joint?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I see it the same way. The extra effort to soak the paper with glue and
position it seem to outweigh any extra parting effort. Don't you have to
clean up the fuzz left by the paper?

I just posted something regarding the direction of the grain, and now
I am not sure I understand Fred's suggestion.

If you glue a wood stub (w/tenon) to the wood blank (no paper) then either
1) The stub has the grain horizontally
or
2) The grain is vertical.

If horizontal, then you are gluing end grain to side grain, and
that's not a strong joint. The joint might fail.

If vertical, then the tenon might split off during the turning process.

Fred - can you clarify?

If you put paper in between, would that make
the end-grain to side grain joint less of an issue?