Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

Default Made a special press for broaching

In article ,
says...

When you pushed the broach though, did you let up once or twice to allow the
broach to recenter itself?

I'm back, I was gone for a day. I did press it in stages to allow everything
to self center. Especially when you are broaching a thin part (mine was 5/8")
there is opportunity for the broach to tilt as only one or two teeth are
contacting at once.

This was a quicky solution and it worked, but it needs upgrading. I will add a
3" channel strongback at 90 degrees to the existing upright, that should
stiffen the press quite a bit. The way it was, every time a tooth cleared the
bottom of the workpiece, the flexing allowed the broach to jump ahead until
the next tooth engaged.

--
DT