Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Ebay and the state of machining

On 2010-07-12, Steve Lusardi wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message ster.com...

I would tend to agree, I think auto tool length measurement has probably
replaced most all manual tool length measurement and data entry. Even
many HSM folks are using auto tool length measurement / touch off, and
most HSMs don't have ATCs yet.

I also agree, but we have deindustrialized our economy. Our labor is simply too expensive to be competitive with the Chinese. What
you do still see is CNC everywhere there is machining. The manual model shops and short run ma & pa operations are long gone. They
only exist with the hobbiest and we are dying out as well. Just look at this NG. What do we have, 2 dozen regulars left? If you
survey those, I'll bet there are not many below the age of 60. I'll be 66 this Wed.

Hmm ... I guess that I qualify as a regular. :-)

69 until next April.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564