Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Ebay and the state of machining

Ignoramus23418 wrote:

On 2010-07-12, Wes wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

This is a serious question: What kind of machine tools would a profitable,
well-run machine shop or manufacturing plant buy on eBay?

Only components to repair legacy equipment.

Wes

I would think tat they could buy support equipment, like bench
grinders, drill sharpeners, extra collets and chucks, machine parts
etc. But as you say, not the "mainline" machinery and not critical
measuring equipment.

A fortune 100-500 company isn't shopping Ebay unless there is something they need that is
critical to the operation and they are looking everywhere to get out of a jam.

Our chucks are customs, we get product engineers from Sandvik, Kennametal, ect to trial
their products in order to keep us happy or take away business from their competitors.

Now small shops, I'll call them mom and pa shops, they are looking for anyway possible to
save a buck. The sole proprietorship is likely a good customer of Ebay.

Wes