Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default squirrel trap plans

jamesgangnc wrote:

On Jul 11, 9:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

Simply wrap the trunk of the tree with a 24" wide piece of aluminum
flashing. They can't climb then. Pretty common solution.

And it works fine [12" flashing is what I use] as long as there isn't
another tree branch within 5 feet of the tree you're trying to
protect--- 10 if it has some height over the target tree.

The squirrels are welcome to my mulberries is so far as there is no
guard on the tree. But they rarely climb that tree. They come
from my neighbors maple- to his oak- to my maple- to my hickory- BFJ
[big f-ing jump] to one spruce- then to the next spruce- down the ash
tree-- and over to the mulberry.

My peach tree in the back has some similar access from a couple sumacs
and an oak tree. The buggers climb up the kids swings to jump to the
cherry trees.

The flashing *has* kept them out of the birdhouse where they killed
the owlets this spring-- or maybe they just lost interest.

Jim