Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ebay and the state of machining

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:14:42 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2010-07-12, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ive been browsing Ebay...Ive been looking for a 12" Cadillac height
gage...and of the 300+ items for sale...there are about (7) bidders.
And those are bidding on the .99c items

We are not doing very well in manufacturing...are we?

I checked ebay and do not see any .99 cent Cadillac height gages.

I see one $49 gage with bids.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cad...e&_fln=1&_ipg=

I think that they do not sell, because they are obsolete.

I would tend to agree, I think auto tool length measurement has probably
replaced most all manual tool length measurement and data entry. Even
many HSM folks are using auto tool length measurement / touch off, and
most HSMs don't have ATCs yet.

I started viewing other catagories as well. It appears that anything
related to machining is simply not selling.

Im also rather fascinated by the prices....some of which have gone UP,
rather than down. Im not sure why. Are the sellers simply trying to
make a living off of each piece (mostly dealers) or have they given up
on selling and are trying enmass to raise the price of items?

Like..come on..$275 for a verticle vernier height gage, without even a
dial indicator on it...geeze. Ive been picking them up for $20 in the
wooden cases...

Gunner

Gunner Asch