Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default RS & Parcelforce, getting seriously OT

In message Vai_n.123555$m87.99830@hurricane, Arfa Daily
writes

"chris French" wrote in message
k...
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
wrote

We actually own a family food business,

That's the problem with too much salt in food. People in the
business are addicted to salt and tasting it all day doesn't give
them salty "hit" so they always add a bit more.

All of which actually shows that you know absolutely nothing about
the production of food, and seasoning it properly ...

The salt cannot be added afterward, because then, what you taste is
salt. Seasoning, as I said, is not about tasting salt in the food. It
is absolute nonsense to suggest that professional and trained cooks
are addicted to salt. It's just that they have a trained palate,

Or maybe they have trained their palates to expect food to taste as
it does when seasoned? They are used to it and therefor it tastes
wrong without it? I'm not saying they are addicted to it, just used
to a certain way of food tasting.

Are you seriously suggesting that every world class and renowned
Michelin starred chef is wrong ?

Wrong? Dunno, I'm just questioning the orthodoxy that adding salt to
food (call it seasoning if you like) 'brings out the flavour'.

Certainly ISTM that limiting the salt you add to your food, seems to
change how much you taste the salt added to food.

Your concept is utterly wrong. You do not taste the salt added to food
during its preparation - unless its use has been heavy handed. The salt
is put in, in *small* and correct quantities to 'bring out' the
flavours of other ingredients, as they combine in the cooking process,
to produce new flavours. It acts as a sort of flavour catalyst, if you
like.

No, I understand exactly what you mean. I didn't say that it mean that
you could consciously taste the salt, just that is the food is always
seasoned with salt that maybe someone gets used to food tasting that
way.

Maybe I'm wrong, it'd be interesting to see evidence on this, but it
doesn't really bother me. I'm happy cooking they way I do, which is the
important thing as far as I'm converned.
--
Chris French