Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default OT Cheeky ******* Pt2 - Latest News

In message Bpq_n.95969$9c1.25438@hurricane, Clot
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Andy
Champ writes
dennis@home wrote:
He is entitled to be in the middle lane if he overtaking a slower
vehicle.
I would probably be overtaking him in the 3rd lane if his speedo was
as bad as mine as 75 on the speedo is only 67 really.
However I have a calibrated speedo that is accurate to 1 mph and
virtually nothing actually overtakes when I am doing a real 70 mph.
I really can drive for miles on the M6 at 70 and only be overtaken
by a handful of cars.

That's very surprising to me. I think an awful lot of drivers use
10%+2MPH. I've cross-checked my speed against GPS, distance posts, and
occasionally when the roads are empty, time for distance. A lot pass
me going well over 70.

I think that most people pass dennis - top of the stairs, first door
on the right

Many thanks.I'll speed passed the door when the weather is fine and traffic
conditions allow. I'm just concerned that dennis will timidly come out of
the door wishing to go right and block all traffic as he tries to (sat in
the way of other traffic).

I think driver age has some bearing on road use attitudes. Sticking
fairly rigidly to posted speed limits does not necessarily make one a
labour voter, either.

There is considerable entertainment value (of the ARW variety) in
closely observing posted limits on one of our local B roads. Exhaust
pipe huggers (identified as drivers who would like to travel faster but
don't have the ability to overtake) can be really wound up as there is
about 5 miles of varying 30 to 40mph with very little opportunity to
overtake. It helps to have a prominent, robust tow hitch on a battered
vehicle.

Otherwise, if Geoff. wishes to get by, I am happy to get out of the way.
Competitive motoring is best kept off the highway.

regards

--
Tim Lamb