Cape Cod Bob

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

On 03 Jan 2004 22:05:26 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

JOAT notes:

Oh, I dunno. When I was in Turkey, alcoholism was apparently a
major problem - and that's a country where, supposedly, drinking alcohol
is against the major religion.

Just reinforces my point: bans on alcohol don't work, probably can't work. As
someone else noted, many things are invented by a single society, but in the
case of booze, some version or other has been invented by every society we've
ever uncovered.

Charlie, look beyond banning alcohol entirely. How about very heavy
taxation so that drinking beyond a socially accepted range becomes too
expensive to sustain?