Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning corrosion from zinc

"Gerry" wrote in message
Anyone have a way to chemically clean white corrosion from zinc pot
metal? Trying to reclaim an old Weber DCOE that looks like it was set
up with a bit of water in the bowl. I know I'm being anal about this
but I really will not be happy until I get the body looking as good as
I can before I reassemble it. Tried, CLR, Ospho, Muriatic along with
carb soak. The corrosion is all that is left on the body now. Ideas
anyone?

Was there a lot of bubbling when you tried the muriatic? Any zinc would have
dissolved while making hydrogen gas.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC